Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Childhood Memory – Ipoh


Childhood Memory – Ipoh

       When I was young, my family does not have their own house. So we used to stay at my grandmother house at Ipoh. After my dad bought a house at Kuala Lumpur we all move there and we went back Ipoh only once or twice a year. Sometime we are so busy until we might not have time to go back at all. When I was in secondary school, when we have a long holiday we would go back and enjoy our vacation at Ipoh.
       Ipoh is basically my hometown although I do not bear there. I feel very belonging and nostalgia every time I in Ipoh, Perak. The place we stay was called Shatin Park near Pasir Pinji. Nearby there is a secondary school and also a field with playground. We will always go play and run around the field during evening with other kids.





       Normally on the 1st morning in Ipoh, I woke up amazed with varieties of food and Ipoh delicacies on the dining table. I quickly 1 by 1 see what food can I enjoy this morning and afternoon. We have Ipoh one of a kind Wan Tan mee, my favourite egg tart (Only can be found in Ipoh), fry potato balls, biscuit, soya bean and some ‘kuih-muih’. I immediately took the small bag of golden brown fry potato balls and put 1 into my mouth.
The crispiness of the skin and freshness of the content exploded in my mouth. I ate few more in a row without hesitation. Then I take a gulp of soya bean and continue to search for the next food. The soya bean is fresher and smoother in Ipoh (Maybe my mind fool me) and I love it. Then I saw a plain white box inside a plastic bag hanging on the cupboard holder. At haste, I took it down and open, there is my all time favorite egg tart that my grandmother always buys for me. The crust is dark brown slightly gold in color and the egg is natural bright yellow. The moment a part of egg tart enter my mouth, the flavor and texture of it flown all over my mouth and ignite my taste bud. That is why everyone of my relative in Ipoh knew this was my favorite food in Ipoh.
Till now I still cannot find any egg tart can match this traditional Ipoh egg tart from this specific morning market.

No comments:

Post a Comment